Kypros
(242 words)

[German Version]

Kypros, the name of a Herodian palace-fortress situated on Tell Aqaba, southwest of New Testament Jericho (see Gilgal, map), first identified by A. Alt (“Burg Kyprus,” PJ 21, 1925, 23f.). It was excavated by Ehud Netzer and Emanuel Damati in 1974. Earlier it had probably been the site of the Hasmonean fortress Threx or Taurus, mentioned by Strabo (Geographica XVI, 2, 40) and destroyed by Pompey in 63 bce, which commanded the eastern approach to Jerusalem. Herod the Great rebuilt it and named it in honor of his mother Cypros (Jos. Bell. 1, 147), making it “very pleasant…

Cite this page
Küchler, Max, “Kypros”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 24 January 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_12528>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲