Religion Past and Present

Get access
Search Results: | 9 of 17 |

Ashdod
(371 words)

[German Version]

is situated approx. 9 miles northeast of Ashkelon, 2.5 miles from the Mediterranean with a separate harbor on the coast. Its Canaanite name ʾaṭdādu, “trade fair,” suggests its importance as a commercial center. The site has been settled since the Middle Bronze; in the Late Bronze it traded with Ugarit and Enkomi. Sub-Mycenaean (“Philistine”) pottery appears at the transition to the Iron Age. Ashdod was one of the city-states of the Philistine pentapolis (Josh 11:22; 13:3); the proximity of its harbor to Judah explains both contacts and conflicts (Amo…

Cite this page
Uehlinger, Christoph, “Ashdod”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 10 August 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_01135>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲