Religion Past and Present

Get access

Caesarea Philippi
(220 words)

[German Version]

(modern Baniyas) is located southwest of Mount Hermon on a tributary of the Jordan; it was the site of a battle between the Ptolemies (Ptolemaic dynasty) and the Seleucids in 200 bce. Originally called Paneas, it was renamed Kaisáreia hē Philíppou (Lat. Caesarea Philippi) after the tetrarch Philip rebuilt it and set up a temple of Augustus in 3 bce. For a time the city was called Neronias in honor of the emperor Nero. Its chief deity was the Greek Pan, who was worshiped alongside Zeus (Olybris, Heliopolitanus), Tyche, and the nymphs. The sanctuary of Pan is locate…

Cite this page
Weber, Thomas, “Caesarea Philippi”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 16 October 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_02678>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲