is a small town in the south-east of Guatemala, close to the borders of Honduras and El Salvador, at a height of 920 m. It is the largest pilgrimage center of Central America (Pilgrimage/Places of pilgrimage: III, 2.b). In the beautiful colonial church that was built in 1737, one can find the famous Black Christ. This image, considered an inheritance of the Spanish conquerors, is dated to 1594. Thousands of Catholics visit this “Cristo Negro de Esquipulas,” especially on Jan 15 and during Holy Week.
Search Results: Prev | 6 of 12 | Next
Cite this pageLampe, Armando, “Esquipulas”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 28 May 2023 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_04649>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013
▲ Back to top ▲