Religion Past and Present

Get access
Search Results: | 6 of 53 |

Externsteine Rocks,
(117 words)

[German Version]

originally a Benedictine rock sanctuary at the southern end of the Teutoburg Forest. It was a replica of Golgotha in Jerusalem, with chapels for the discovery of the cross (dedicatory inscription of 1115) and the exaltation of the cross, a tomb high in the rock and a tomb at the base (Holy Sepulchre). There is a Roman monumental relief of the removal from the cross (24m2), and further, a relief with Adam and Eve. After the Lippe Reform (1538), it was no longer used for worship. Since 1810, it has been a historic monument.

Bibliography

W. Matthes & R. Speckner, Das Re…

Cite this page
Koch, Guntram, “Externsteine Rocks,”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 24 November 2020 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_04929>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲