Religion Past and Present

Get access
Search Results: | 13 of 26 |

Gezer
(309 words)

[German Version]

(Heb. גֶזֶר “separate area” [?]; in hieroglyphics Q٤̲r and in cuneiform Gazri, etc.), one of the largest ancient Near Eastern sites in Palestine, lies on the northwestern sands of the Shephalah near the intersection of the Via Maris and the Jaffa-Jerusalem road. It was first identified with Tell Ğazarī by Charles Clermont-Ganneau in 1871, and excavated by R.A. Stewart Macalister 1902–1909, Alan Rowe 1934 and by G.E.Wright, William G. Dever and Joe D. Seger 1964–1974, 1984 and 1990.…

Cite this page
Hübner, Ulrich, “Gezer”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 20 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_08563>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲