Religion Past and Present

Get access

Oberlin House
(183 words)

[German Version]

is named, like many educational and welfare institutions, after J.F. Oberlin. It was opened on Nov 30, 1874 by the Oberlin Association (Oberlinverein, founded 1871) in the poor and populous weaver settlement of Nowawe (now Potsdam-Babelsberg) as a training college and infants school. From 1879 it was directed by Theodor Hoppe, on the model of the mother houses in Kaiserswerth. Oberlin House was extended to include care for the sick, “cripples,” and the deaf-mute-blind. Its sisters worked in parishes and welfare institutions. Together with…

Cite this page
Collmar, Norbert, “Oberlin House”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 20 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_024205>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲