(SCC; Daughters of the Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception). The congregation was founded in Paderborn in 1849 by Pauline v. Mallinckrodt (1817–1881) for social and charitable work (initially primarily education of the blind, followed soon by education of girls and pastoral ministry). When they were expelled during the Kulturkampf (1873, return in 1887), they spread to the United States and Chile. Today some 700 sisters work in Germany, Italy, Uruguay, Argentina, and the Philippines. They are a congregation under papal law; their general council is in Rome.
Sisters of Christian Charity(112 words)
Cite this pageEder, Manfred, “Sisters of Christian Charity”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 21 November 2019 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_03001>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013
▲ Back to top ▲