Religion Past and Present

Get access
Search Results: | 17 of 28 |

Sremski Karlovci
(196 words)

[German Version]

(Hung. Karlócza), a city on the Danube in Syrmia (Srem), Serbia, a Baroque ecclesiastical center of Orthodox Serbs within the Catholic Habsburg empire. From 1713 to 1920, it was a metropolitan (II) see, autocephalous (Autocephaly) after the abolition of the patriarchate of Peć in 1766. With the help of Russian theologians from Kiev, Sremski Karlovci became an intellectual and theological center (seminary opened in 1774, the first Serbian Gymnasium in 1791). The “national church co…

Cite this page
Schneider, Johann, “Sremski Karlovci”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 05 March 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_11317>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲