Religion Past and Present

Get access
Search Results: | 8 of 14 |

Wiener Neustadt
(143 words)

[German Version]

(Vienna Newtown), a town in the Viennese basin south of Vienna, established by design in 1194. It became a bishopric in 1469, when Emperor Frederick III received approval for an episcopal see for his Wiener Neustadt residence from Pope Paul II. Internal tensions and inadequate endowment made purposeful development difficult. Outstanding bishops included Leopold v. Kollonitsch (1670–1685), pastor of the Viennese during the Turkish siege of 1683, and the irenic theologian C. de Roja…

Cite this page
May, Gerhard, “Wiener Neustadt”, in: Religion Past and Present. Consulted online on 11 April 2021 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/1877-5888_rpp_SIM_XXXXXX>
First published online: 2011
First print edition: ISBN: 9789004146662, 2006-2013



▲   Back to top   ▲