In Volume 1-2: Biography, Additions, and Corrections | Section 2, History, Biography, etc.
§ 1451. G̲h̲ulām-ʿAbd al-Qādir1 “Nāẓir”, surnamed Qādir ʿAẓīm K̲h̲ān, b. G̲h̲ulām-Muḥyī ’l-Dīn “Muʿjiz” Na’iṭī S̲h̲āfiʿī was born in 1200/1786 and died in 1243/1827–8.
- Gulistān i nasab, a genealogical work (124 foll.) on the Nā’it̤ī (or Nā’iṭī) tribe or clan2 completed in 1224/1809 and divided into three bābs ((1) dar bayān i faḍīlat i qaum i Banū Nā’iṭ, (2) dar bayān i nasab i rāqim i suṭūr, (3) dar bayān i faḍīlat i aslāf i buzurgān i k̲h̲wud) and a k̲h̲ātimah (dar bayān i tafṣīl i nasab u mustaqīm s̲h̲udan i silsilah i aqārib i īn k̲h̲ānadān): Ivanow 1st Suppt. 774 (1) (circ. ah 1251–8/1835–42).
[Ṣubḥ i waṭan p. 168; Is̲h̲ārāt i Bīnis̲h̲; Gulzār i Aʿẓam pp. 360–1.]
§ 1452. The manuscript containing the Gulistān i nasab just described contains also five short works on the Nā’iṭī tribe, three of them in Persian, one in Arabic, and one in Urdu.3 Those in Persian are:—
- Aḥwāl al-qaum by M. Akram K̲h̲ān: Ivanow 1st Suppt. 774 (2).
- Kas̲h̲f al-nasab, by an anonymous author who refers to the Gulistān i nasab and M. Akram’s work: Ivanow 1st Suppt. 774 (4).
- al-Nā’it (so spelt here, with tāʾ not ṭāʾ, as also in M. Akram’s work), by M. Saʿīd known as (s̲h̲ahīr) Ustād: Ivanow 1st Suppt. 774 (3) (ah 1251/1835).
Another Persian work relating to this tribe is
- Qābūs li-muʿtariḍ ṣāḥib al-Qāmūs, “a refutation” by M. ʿAbd al-Razzāq b. ʿAlī Aḥmad K̲h̲ān “of the claim put forward by G̲h̲ulām Dastgīr, in a work ¶ entitled Qawānīn i Dastgīrī, that the tribe of Nawāyat is descended from the Qurais̲h̲”: Madras 1331/1913*.
^ Back to text2. The Nā’it̤īs, Navāyat, Navayet, Nawāʾit, who claim Arab descent, are a largely sea-faring tribe living on the coast of the Bombay Presidency and elsewhere in southern India: cf. Yule and Burnell Hobson Jobson, under Navait, Naitea, Nevoyat, etc. Among the best known members of the tribe are ʿAlī b. Aḥmad al-Mahāʾimī, author of the Tabṣīr al-Raḥmān, an Arabic commentary on the Qurʾān written in 831/1427–8 (see the Catalogue of Arabic MSS. in the … India Office ii no. 1142, Brockelmann Sptbd. ii p. 310) and Nawwāb ʿAzīz-Jang (see no. 1045 supra). See also no. 1084 1st par. footnote.